The Divisional Forest Office was established at Dagapela in Dagana on 8/11/2016 as per the RCSC order no.RCSC/PPD-40/2016/ 3686 dated 10th May 2016 and endorsement of Dzongkhag Tshogdu of Dagana Dzongkhag held on 24th and 25 October 2016.The establishment of Territorial Division Office in Dagana was one of the results of the recent Organizational Development (OD) exercise carried out by the RCSC.
Dagana division is run by 29 forestry officials including the Chief Forestry Officer and this division caters forestry services to the people of 14 geogs, Dzongkhag administration, Dratsang, Government organizations, corporations, companies and private organizations under Dagana Dzongkhag.
Dagana dzonkhag is located in the South West of Bhutan at an elevation ranging from 300m to 3800m MSL. Dagana Dzongkhag shares its border with Wangdue in the north, Thimphu and Chukka in the west, Tsirang in the East and Sarpang and Indian State of West Bengal in the South. The total geographic area of this division is 1724.32 sq km out of which 83.25% is under forest cover.
General information about Dagana Dzongkhag (Forest Division)
|Dzongkhag||Number of geogs||Number of Chiwogs||Number of villages||Number of Households||Population|
|Dagana||14 geogs (Drujaygang, Khebisa, Lajab, Tsangkha, Dorona, Gserling, Tashiding, Tsendagang, Karmaling, Lhamo Zingkha, Nichula, Goshi, Kana and Tseza)||74||173||4350||25070|
Forests types found under Dagana Division:
- 1. Sub-tropical broad leaved Forest
- 2. Chir Pine Forest
- 3. Temperate Broad leaved Forest
- 4. Blue Pine Forest
- 5. Mixed Conifer Forest
- 6. Fir Forest
- 7. Alpine Meadows
- 1. Participate in formulating policy, acts and rules of the forestry sector
- 2. Prepare and implement Annual Work Plans as per the FYP programs with proper monitoring and progress reporting to the department
- 3. Act as a focal office to inform and address all forestry development plans and issues arising out of it in local development forums such as DYT and GYT
- 4. Prepare operational plans for forest management unit in collaboration with FRMD and implement the FMU management plans as per the plan prescription and code of forest management practices
- 5. To prepare and implement management plans for forest areas outside FMU systems for sustainable management of the forest area of Geog in order to meet the timber demands of the local people.
- 6. Liaise with FPED, SFED, WCD, FRMD, NRED, WMD, FIMS and FFMS for information and technical expertise in the implementation of any programs and activities as required and found necessary in the field.
- 7. Issue forestry clearance for land allotment, road construction, transmission line alignment, lease of SRF land and Kidu Land.
- 8. Backstopping of all forestry plans implemented by other agencies namely Dzongkhag Forestry Sector, Parks, RNR-RC, NRDCL and Hydropower projects.
- 9. Act as platform for coordination and linkage for forestry plans and activities in the region
- 10. Monitor and regulate the proper utilization of forest resources through timely patrolling and cross checks.
- 11. Ensure fair implementation of legal provisions of Acts and Rules for forest offences.
- 12. Management of biological corridors and critical watersheds.
- 13. Implement land and soil conservation activities, anti-poaching, and resource allocation to the public.
- 14. Advocate general public on provision of acts and forest and nature conservation rules 2006.
- 15. Carry out forest fire prevention activities and control program.
- 16. Raise forest nursery and carry out forest plantation to revive barren SRF land
- 17. Implementation of human wildlife conflict strategy as relevant to the division.
- 18. Any special task assigned by the department from time to time.
In order to fulfill the above mentioned mandates of the division, Dagana division has created important sectors at the divisional office (Hq) and strengthened the field ranges and Beat offices.
NWFP was identified as a major activity for poverty reduction and also to means to achieve economic growth. As such, the following NWFPS groups have been formed under Dagana Forest Division:-
|Sl no.||Name||Area (Ha)||No. of house hold||Location||Year Operational|
|6||Devi ShingmenTshogpa||Traditional boundary||59||Lhamoizingkha||2014-2018|
This division has established 25 Community Forests (CFs) in the Dzongkhags as of 27th December 2016 and some of the CFs are in the pipe line for approval.
|Sl no.||Name||Area (Ha)||No. of house hold||Female||Male||Location||Year Operational|
|16||TashiDargey community Forest||150.80||60||47||13||Druyeygang||2015|
|17||Norbuzingkha community Forest||58.16||57||26||31||Tsendagang||2015|
|18||Soarlum community Forest||7.62||12||0||12||Gesarling||2015|
|19||AgochenPhuensum Community Forest||91.77||40||2||38||Khebisa||2015|
|21||Upper Gangzur community forest||60.09||58||9||49||Tsendagang||2015|
|22||Balung community forest||46.80||24||1||23||Laja||2015|
|23||Banaphuensum community forest||72.72||29||8||21||Laja||2015|
|24||BaleygangGongphel community forest||25.70||30||9||21||Goshi||2016|
|25||Phunsum community forest||40.723||20||2||18||Goshi||2016|