Vision: “Sustaining Bhutan’s forest resources & biodiversity for the happiness of present and future generations”
Mission: “To conserve and manage Bhutan’s forest resources & biodiversity to ensure social, economic and environmental well-being, and to maintain a minimum of 60% of the land under forest cover for all times to come”
- Maintenance of a minimum of 60% of the country’s geographical area under forest cover for all times to come as mandated by the Constitution of Bhutan through development and implementation of forestry programs.
- Conservation, protection, sustainable management and utilization of state forests, forest soil, water resources and biodiversity through insightful application of good science and science based management prescriptions.
- Ensuring Bhutan’s commitments to international and regional conventions, treaties and non-legally binding instruments through participation, facilitating and enactment of enabling policies, legislations, strategies, plans, and programs.
- Manage Bhutan’s forests for sustainable production of economic and environmental goods and services including sustainable supply of timber and other forest products, and to meet the long term needs of society.
- Maintain species persistence and ensure long term sustainability of Bhutan’s biodiversity, ecosystem services, natural habitats and cultural heritage.
- Provide for effective and integrated watershed management, maintain and improve water and watershed conditions and contribute to sustainable livelihoods through provision of watershed services.
- Provide for enabling environment for promotion of ecotourism and creation of nature recreational areas to bring benefits to local communities and enhance conservation.
- Empower rural communities manage forests sustainably for socio-economic benefits, poverty reduction and to contribute to overall sustainable forest management at national level.
- Facilitate raising forestry crop on registered land of individuals or institutions and accrue ecological, social and economic benefits.
- Enable an economically viable and efficient forest based industry aimed at adding value to forest products and build capacity of private sector and rural communities to utilise, process and market forest products.
Carry out research to generate knowledge, information and technology to support policy implementation and development.
930 total views, 1 views today